Everyone knows I’m an unabashed HopHead. If you’re a brewer that produces a beer with “IPA” written anywhere on the label, I will drink it. Sometimes I feel cursed to love hops so much because they arguably have the greatest impact on the taste buds. If you’re not careful, you can quickly lose your ability to appreciate styles with more subtle flavors. This is a theme I’m going to mention a lot on this site. If you don’t like it, send me loads of free hoppy beer and I’ll stop.
Anyhow, I was walking through my favorite beer store last week and stumbled across this beer. I’d never heard of Three Heads Brewing before, but I was intrigued by the illustration on the label and the description on the side:
Voraciously hoppy and not overly bitter. The Kind brings enormous aroma and maximum flavor. It’s like taking a walk through a pine forest and ending up at a citrus farm. This beer brings joy to the world, one sip at a time.
I also noticed a relatively low ABV for a big bottle. Alrighty then! Sold. Sounds like a perfect beer to enjoy Game 2 of the World Series with.
Let’s review based on the label description:
- “Voraciously hoppy”: not sure I would have gone with voracious, but it is hoppy.
- “Not overly bitter”: it’s definitely got a bitter finish, but not overwhelming. And I kind of like bitter anyway.
- “Enormous aroma and maximum flavor”: The aroma was less than enormous, and I think the bitterness overwhelms the flavor.
- “Pine forest –> citrus farm”: I agree so long as the “pine forest” was last year’s Christmas tree and the citrus farm was the world’s largest grapefruit.
- “This beer brings joy to the world”: I’ll give them this one because I’m always happier when I’m drinking a craft beer.
The primary gripe I have with this beer is the lack of carbonation. It seems like it would be a better beer if those bubbles were there to make it dance around on my tongue a little bit more before the bitter impact hits. This has been a fine beer for the game, but I don’t think I’d rush out to buy it again.
Taste: C+ Citrus hops are delicious, but this grapefruit is overwhelming my taste buds.
Drinkability: B. Could be higher based on the fairly low alcohol %. I’m grading this lower because of the carbonation issue and the bitterness.
Vitals: 22oz, ~42F in my trusty Dartmouth pint glass. 6.8% ABV, 76 IBUs.